Monterey Car Week 2018
August 17th - WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca kicks off the now week and a half of all things automotive with a car show on the 300 block of Alvarado Street, downtown Monterey, between 5:00 pm and 7:00 pm. It's free folks.
August 18th & 19th - It's the Monterey Pre-Reunion at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca (http://weathertechraceway.com/monterey-pre-reunion). What's a Pre-Reunion? Just another chance to see historic race cars on the track!
August 20th - The Porsche Monterey Classic. Obviously a Porsche event for "classic" Porsches 10 years old or older. No info on cost at this time. Held at Porsche Monterey, 1781 Del Monte Ave., Seaside.
August 21st - Classic Motorsports Magazine Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In, 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm, 525 Lighthouse Ave., Pacifica Grove. (https://classicmotorsports.com/events/2571/) It's free.
- Concours on the Avenue, a fabulous free show on Ocean Ave., Carmel-By-The-Sea. This is a must attend gathering. (http://carmelconcours.com/) Parking downtown is tough but there is remote parking with buses.
August 21st & 22nd - Automobilia Monterey, a great gathering of automotive collectibles of all descriptions (https://automobiliamonterey.com). $20 entry to a wonderland of material. Embassy Suites, 1441 Canyon Del Rey Blvd., Seaside.
August 22nd - Pebble Beach Motoring Classic. This is the end of an epic drive from Kirkland, WA to Pebble. On the 22nd you can watch some beautiful classic cars arrive at the Pebble Beach Lodge. It's always great to see priceless classics being driven. 7:30 am to 2:30 pm. (https://pebblebeachconcours.net/events/motoringclassic.html)
- Carmel Mission Classic. I was impressed with this show last year. It's a small show but the grounds are beautiful. The atmosphere is relaxed. There's gourmet food, local wines, and music. Tickets are $50. 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. (http://www.carmelmissionclassic.org/)
- The Little Car Show, a fun event on Lighthouse Ave., Pacific Grove. It's free. (http://marinamotorsports.org/events/)
- Pebble Beach Auctions Presented by Gooding & Company. Initial viewing of cars offered. 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Gooding usually has some great cars. (https://goodingco.com/auction/pebble-beach-2018/)
- Prancing Ponies Car Show. 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, Delores St., Carmel-By-The-Sea. It's free.
- McCall's Motorworks Revival, 196 Skypark Dr., Monterey (Monterey Airport). 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm. More than just a car show; it is an event, or some would say The Event. It's pricey - the least expensive ticket is $425. I've been once and it really was fantastic - cars, planes, food, liqour, cigars, and beautiful people. (https://mccall-events-inc.myshopify.com)
August 23rd - Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance Presented by Rolex. 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Here's a chancee to see some great historic cars tour Pebble Beach and environs. (https://pebblebeachconcours.net/events/pebble-beach-tour-elegance.html) There are plenty of good viewing places as the cars drive on public roads. It's free.
- Mecum Auctions @ Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel, 1 Old Golf Course Rd., Monterey. 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. Mecum always has about a million cars at their auction. (https://mecum.com/auctions/monterey-2018/)
- Rolex Monterey Motorsports ReUnion at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Races run through the 26th. (http://weathertechraceway.com/rolex-monterey-motorsports-reunion) This is one of the premier events not only for Car Week but for the year. Here you'll not only see historic race cars but historic race drivers. It is a must visit for any true race afficienado.
- Pebble Beach RetroAuto. A collection of automobilia sellers. 9:30 am to 5:30 pm. It runs through the 25th. (https://pebblebeachconcours.net/events/pebble-beach-retroauto.html) Entry is free.
- The Pacific Grove Auction Worldwide Auctioneers Auction, 77 Asilomar Ave., Pacific Grove. (http://worldwide-auctioneers.com/auctions/ca17.cfm). The newest auction for the week. Last year they had some very interesting vehicles.
- Russo and Steele, 290 Figueroa St., Monterey. R&S is one of my favorite auctions. They always have a wide variety of cars and I always find about a dozen I want to buy. You can do some viewing from outside the fence for free. The auction runs to the 25th. (https://russoandsteele.com/monterey/)
- Legends of Auto Gala Dinner @ the Embassy Suites, Seaside. An evening honoring some automotive greats. It promises to be a great evening. 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm. (https://my360tix.com/events/legends-gala)
August 24th - Many events listed about continue on the 24th.
- Werks Reunion, 81 Corral De Tierra Rd., Salinas. (http://werksreunion.com/monterey.cfm) 7:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Legends of the Autobahn, 100 Pasadera Dr., Monterey. An all-German Concours. Spectator admission is free but parking is $20 per car. (https://legendsoftheautobahn.org) 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering @ Quail Lodge, Carmel. An incredible show of cars, food, drink, and people. Expensive but it is all inclusive. 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (https://signatureevents.peninsula.com/en/Motorsports/Motorsports.html
- Bonhams Quail Lodge Auction. 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Not the largest auction but the vehicles are always great. (http://bonhams.com/auctions/24811/ I always want to take one or two of the cars home with me but so far they've said no.
- Pacific Grove Rotary Concours Rally, Lighthouse Ave., Pacific Grove. 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Local folks who go on a rally and end up on Lighthouse showing their cars. A wide variety of cars can be seen. (http://pgrotary.org/lawyer/Annual-Pacific-Grove-Concours-Auto-Rally_cp8081.htm) Free!
- RM Sotherby's @ Monterey Conference Center, downtown Monterey. Last year the hotel/conference center was under renovation so outside viewing was restricted. Usually you can watch the cars being driven into the auction hall for free. Great cars and huge crowds. Runs to the 25th. (https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO18)
August 25th - Check websites because many of the above events are on multiple days.
- Concours d'Lemons @ 440 Harcourt Ave., Seaside. In their own words, "An ugly stain on the Pebble Beach Auto Week". (https://eventbrite.com/e/concours-dlemons-monterey-2018-registration-39560939836). I go and just shake my head. 8:00 am to 1:30 pm
- Concorso Italiano @ Black Horse Golf Course, Monterey (on the grounds of Ft. Ord). It really is a celebration of all things Italian. (https://concorso.com)
- Exotics on Cannery, Cannery Row, Monterey. 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Imagine a street fair for exotic cars. Yup it's like that. (https://exoticsoncanneryrow.com) It's free.
- Barnyard Ferrari Event. The Barnyard Shopping Village, Carmel. I think the name says it all. (http://thebarnyard.com/barnyardevents/the-barnyard-ferrari-event-8192017/). 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
August 26th - Pebble Beach Dawn Patrol. 6:00 am. Get up early and watch the cars drive onto the 18th green. I went once and got chills; both from the cars and the weather. Dress warm.
- Pebble Beach Concours d'Elgance. The other premier event and a world class event. All I can say is GO! (https://pebblebeachconcours.net/events/pebble-beach-concours-elegance.html)
- Automotive Fine Arts Society Art Exhibition at Pebble Beach. Never ever underestimate automotive art. These artists are just that, artists. They work in all media. Take a walk through and experience how great they are.
Pebble has many events on site (the Pebble Beach are huge) so check their site (https://pebblebeachconcours.net/events.html).
I've probably missed something. There's just so much going on. If I missed an event please let me know and I'll update this list. Same goes for any errors.
This year I'm splitting my visit; I plan to go to the Pre-Reunion for at least one day, Concours-On-The-Avenue on Tuesday, take Wednesday off, hit the auctions for viewing on Thursday and maybe Friday, back to WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca Saturday and some other events, and finally Sunday it's Pebble.