Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion - And More!
The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion runs August 19-21 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca during the Monterey Classic Car Week (Aug. 16-21), to which hundreds of thousands of car enthusiasts flock each year.
I. Three top things to do during Classic Car Week:
● Pebble Beach Concourse d’Elegance (Sunday, Aug. 21)
● Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (Friday-Sunday Aug. 19-21)
● RM Auction (Friday-Saturday, Aug. 19-20)
And there are dozens of other events – from the Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance presented by Rolex to Carmel’s relaxed Concours on the Avenue to the elegant Quail Motorsports Gathering at Quail Lodge -- to keep even the most passionate car lover deliriously happy over six days!
II. Classic Car Week on a Budget:
● Where to go to see for free the cars in the Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance presented by Rolex, the Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally and several Car Auctions
● Hottest value ticket in town -- the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
● For something totally different, shopping at Automobilia Monterey
III. The perfect vacation for car lovers
● It starts Monday, Aug. 15 with a stay for 7 nights at Carmel Valley Ranch resort or Bernardus Lodge and includes Concourse events, auctions, and historic motorsports racing
Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance (Sunday, Aug. 21) -- It’s one of the fanciest beauty pageants in the world, but the stars of the show are on wheels, not runways. A tradition going back over half a century, the Pebble Beach Concourse d’Elegance is where the 200 best collector cars in the world roll onto the legendary 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links, and only a handful of those receive official recognition for style, technical merit and historical accuracy.
Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (Friday-Sunday Aug. 19-21) -- The serious business of preserving and restoring automobiles is taken to heights well beyond those of juried concours events when competitors actually race their rare and valuable automobiles wheel-to-wheel, as they were raced decades ago, on one of the most storied race tracks in the country: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Further paying tribute to historic automobile racing, this year’s event celebrates Jaguar as its “featured marque” and allows spectators to wander freely in the paddock areas, offering up-close-and-personal encounters with the cars and their owners.
RM Auction -- Though there are dozens of historic car auctions throughout Monterey Classic Car Week -- including Bonhams and Gooding, with their classic, English overtones -- the RM auction, held over two days at the Portola Hotel and Spa in downtown Monterey, is the most lively. With Mardi Gras-like enthusiasm, hundreds of people line up outside the hotel to view the cars (for free) as they enter the building, and inside, the bidding gets lively, if not frenetic, with much shouting and anticipation.